If you suffer from tooth decay and cavities, try treatment with dental fillings. Dental fillings can help seal out decay after infection has been removed from a tooth and the area has been cleaned. Dr. Kevin Welinsky and the professional team at Welinsky Dental Care offer treatment with dental fillings to patients in Towson, MD.
Signs of Tooth Decay
There are several common signs of tooth decay to look out for:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Staining on tooth enamel
- Pain when biting or chewing
- Pain when eating hot or cold foods
Treatment with Dental Fillings
Dr. Welinsky will use a local anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth to be filled. A drill or laser will then be used to gently remove the decayed area. Once the decay has been removed, Dr. Welinsky will clean the cavity of bacteria and debris. If the decay is near the root, Dr. Welinsky may first put in a liner made of glass ionomer, composite resin, or other material to protect the nerve. After the filling is in, it will be polished.
For white fillings, a special light that “cures” or hardens each layer is applied. When the process is completed, Dr. Welinsky will shape the composite material to the desired result, trim off any excess material, and polish for the final step.
Types of Dental Fillings
- Amalgam fillings: This is the traditional material used for dental fillings. Amalgam remains popular today for its durability and reasonable cost.
- Gold fillings: Gold is a good option for larger back teeth with varied biting surfaces because of its strength and lasting durability.
- Composite resin: Also called a white filling, composite resin is also a durable material that can be color matched for a natural looking result, especially recommended for teeth that are visible when smiling or talking.
- Porcelain fillings: Also known as an inlay, porcelain fillings provides superior strength and stain resistance as well as an excellent looking result.
Schedule an Appointment
Call Welinsky Dental Care for comprehensive treatment today at (410) 692-8453. You can also schedule an appointment with Dr. Welinsky and his professional team online here.