Restorative dentistry can address multiple oral health problems or cosmetic issues at once to restore your smile to its optimal function and appearance. Dr. Kevin Welinsky is a restorative dentist in Towson, MD, working with patients to create custom treatment plans to give them the smiles they deserve. Learn more about what restorative dentistry treatments are available and how you can combine them to address your needs and goals.
Replacing Missing Teeth
The goal of restorative dentistry is to restore your teeth to a functional and attractive state while also preserving as much of the natural tooth structure as possible. Replacing your missing teeth with a dental implant, bridge, full or partial denture helps promote dental health as well as creating a more attractive smile. Allowing empty spaces in your smile can allow plaque-causing bacteria to build up, increasing your risk of tooth decay, and also cause erosion of jawbone and gum tissues. Missing teeth also place additional stress on your remaining natural teeth because there is less surface area to bite and chew with, so replacing teeth helps your remaining natural teeth stay healthy.
Restorative Dentistry Plan: Types of Restorations
When you and your dentist are planning your restorative dentistry plan, you will need to consider both your health and your budget. Most dentists will try to preserve your remaining natural teeth if possible before advocating for full or partial dentures so you won’t have to remove and clean the devices regularly. However, sometimes full or partial dentures are the best option if you are missing many teeth and you’re not a good candidate for dental implants due to other health issues such as a lack of sufficient healthy supporting bone tissue.
Because of the variety of dental treatments available for dental restoration, you now have many different options for repairing worn, decayed, damaged or missing teeth and restoring your smile.
Dr. Welinsky performs the following restorative dental procedures at his Towson MD dental practice:
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening is a popular tooth restoration procedure that focuses on the aesthetic appeal of your teeth. Discoloration or stains on your enamel due to normal eating and drinking habits can leave you with a less than appealing smile.
- Dental Crown: Dental crowns are artificial teeth that cover over damaged teeth to restore their functioning.
- Dental Bridges: Dental bridges are a means of replacing missing teeth using a crown over the empty space, supported by two adjacent crowned teeth.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants replace missing teeth with crowns mounted on titanium implant screws that serve as the root of the tooth.
- Inlays/Onlays: Inlays and onlays are fillings made of composite or porcelain materials used to repair decay or structural damage.
- Porcelain Veneers: Porcelain veneers are made of composite or porcelain laminates that are placed over damaged, chipped or crooked teeth and adhered with a bonding agent. If you have been unsuccessful with teeth whitening treatment, porcelain veneers are a viable alternative.
- Composite Bonding: Composite bonding is used to restore chipped, broken, decayed or discolored teeth. A composite material that looks like enamel is applied to the surface of a tooth or cavity and then shaped to repair flaws.
- Smile Makeover: Smile makeovers involve using more than one cosmetic procedure to achieve a desired look. The dentist may have to use a combination of cosmetic procedures such as veneers, implants, sculpting or whitening depending on the condition of your teeth and mouth.
- Full Mouth Reconstruction: Full mouth reconstruction is used to correct functional or mechanical problems with your teeth, muscles, bone structure and bite.
Schedule a Consultation
If you feel you need the benefits of restorative dentistry, Welinsky Dental Care is here to help you. Contact our office today at (410) 692-8453 to schedule an appointment or consultation or contact us online.